Great and inexpensive things to do while Traveling
Here is a list of free and inexpensive things to do while traveling. There are many activities one can do while traveling that is not only fun, but also affordable.
- Museums: Many museums have lower cost entrance fees at certain days or times and some countries like the UK have removed entrance fees altogether.
- National Parks: National parks have increased entrance fees, but many do not charge if you walk or bike in. So you can visit them while traveling and save money (however the entrance fee is usually minimum and helps maintain our a countries national heritage).
- Skip tourist attractions: Many tourist attractions are over-hyped and overcharged. Do your research before hand. You can still enjoy wandering around many of areas to visit without paying fees if you go the right time or day.
- Explore off the beaten path: Many times the greatest sites are nearby tourist attractions, but many people while traveling don’t take time to explore. My favorite times are always wondering around back streets and through buildings that have no official designation, but have their own treasures to uncover.
- Art Galleries: Love to see Picasso, but don’t want to cough up the $25 entrance fee? Don’t worry there are many undiscovered Picassos’ in retail art studios all around the world.
- Sites with benefits: Many times there are also great sites that have entrance fees, but that have things included in the cover charge. For example the Guinness Factory in Dublin gives a pint of Guinness at the end of the trip, and it has lots of cool things to see and do along the way.
- Public Parks and Buildings: Many of the great places to visit have been turned into public parks or buildings with little or no cost for entrance.
- Local schools and universities: Educational facilities provide great traveling opportunities and often have low-cost events like concerts, plays, science fairs, art shows, and athletic events with times and dates posted all around the campus.
- Public Libraries: Public libraries offer more than free access to books and other information, many also provide access to free DVD’s, movies, music, books on tape, and often are housed in great historical buildings.
- Pick up sporting games: Like to play or try a new sport, many activities occur at parks and courts all around the world. Most people don’t mind if you join in, just remember our motto, don’t be afraid to ask.
- Historic Towns: There are many fantastic historical places to see in America especially along migration trails.
- Hostels: There are many great hostels, found on-line, which offer inexpensive activities and are a great place to meet people while traveling.
- Highways: The US road system is the best in the world, and the interstate system is generally free and a great way to go. American road systems are numbered, and interstate highways that run east and west are even numbered (i.e. 10, 40, 80), and odd numbered highways run north and south (i.e. 101, 5, 55).
- Smaller cities: These are great places to stay, people are typically friendlier, and they are easier to navigate, although most have limited public transport.
- Cities with better public transportation: Areas like the San Francisco/Bay Area, Chicago, Seattle, Portland, Boston, Denver and NY are great places to visit and have great public transportation, which lowers traveling costs extensively.
- Pick up a guide-book or your local activities list: You would be surprised at all the great things to do around a city or countryside that can give hours of low, or no cost activities, just by reading about it.
- Public parks and recreations facilities: These are many in most states and access is almost always free of charge, so check them out.
- Meet local people: Many times while traveling we overlook the people who know the area the best, and that is your everyday citizen of the area. Although typically it helps to approach them during their leisure time, so go to your local coffee shop, pub, and park.
Remember, don’t be afraid to ask, you might just find a lifelong friend or even a tour guide for FREE!
So if you’re looking for inexpensive and free activities while traveling try one of these first, before you buy that expensive travel package.